Joe Sparks serves Seamless Strategy as an adjunct consultant, with a close and valued friendship and business relationship lasting many years. As both an internal and an external resource, Dr. Sparks has 41 years of experience in the design and implementation of change strategies for private industry, federal space and defense agencies, and multi-levels of educational institutions. He is skilled in governance systems, business process design, and people systems. Dr. Sparks’ own enterprise management experience ranges from private and public universities, to start-ups and small companies, to multiple-strategic-business-unit corporations. He reflects strong capability in the utilization of networks for identifying and brokering corporate and individual talent. Dr. Sparks’ broad expertise includes strengths in the following areas:
• Governance Boards, Systems, and Policies • Systems-based Planning and Management
• Strategic Market Research and Development • Strategic Communications
• Integrated Management Systems • Organizational Analysis and Design
• Human Capital Systems and Tools • Performance Management Systems
• Executive Mentoring and Development • Strategic Transformation and Transition
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Organizational Development Subject Matter Expert, ASE (wholly-owned subsidiary of Booz Allen Hamilton, McLean, VA, assigned to Booz Allen Hamilton-Huntsville Office): Dr. Sparks joined ASE/Booz Allen Hamilton in April 2006 and supports the Huntsville Enterprise Managing Principal in four areas:
- Evolving the Booz Allen strategic image in North Alabama
- Positioning the office for entry into specific commercial market
- Mentoring younger staff in client relationships and development
- Building the office capability in functional team areas of Organizational Transformation and Transition, Economic and Business Analysis, and Operations and Management
Senior Associate and Subject Matter Expert in Enterprise Development, Analytical Services, Inc. (Huntsville, AL): Dr. Sparks supported integrated strategic planning,
development, and management at Marshall Space Flight Center, focusing on strategic research and analysis, strategic communication systems and products, and Marshall’s transition into a focused strategic business unit for NASA. He counseled an integrated government and contractor team whose charter was to create and manage the Senior Associate and Subject Matter Expert in Enterprise Development, Analytical Services, Inc. (Huntsville, AL): Dr. Sparks supported integrated strategic planning, development, and management at Marshall Space Flight Center, focusing on strategic research and analysis, strategic communication systems and products, and Marshall’s transition into a focused strategic business unit for NASA. He counseled an integrated government and contractor team whose charter was to create and manage the systems and tools for:
- Governance (policy interpretation and management structure)
- Strategic analysis and positioning
- Performance management systems
- Web-site management
- Improved learning and performance of senior management teams
- Culture shaping within the Center’s workforce to ensure integration, accountability, and disciplined innovation
Founder and President of Enterprise Architects, Inc. (Union Grove, AL): Dr. Sparks established this corporate base for strategic alliances with professional management associates who can make a difference in the futures of client organizations. EAI and its strategic partners help enterprises design and implement successful marketing and business strategies through listening, mentoring, planning, and problem-solving so that clients can perform long after EAI is gone.
Chief Executive Officer of Management Resource Group, LLC (Nashville, TN): Dr. Sparks coordinated the market penetration and business development strategy for the Huntsville, AL high technology marketplace; created sustained business relationships with five major commercial and government clients within two years; and established a diverse business base of small entrepreneurial firms, mid-market companies, and multi-strategic-business unit corporations. Dr. Sparks managed the creation and evolution of MRG’s Enterprise Development Center for enterprise training, client services, executive assessment and development, and case-based management research and publication.
Chairman, Inter-Divisional Engineers Association and Teledyne Relentless Improvement Organization (IDEA/TRIO) for the former Teledyne, Inc. (Los Angeles, CA): Dr. Sparks initiated and coordinated intra-corporate capability improvement among eighteen advanced technology companies — identifying, adapting, and integrating best strategic and operational practices in technology management, procurement, information systems, quality systems, manufacturing, and operations.
Coordinator of Strategic Planning and Director of Continuous Process Improvement, Teledyne Brown Engineering (Huntsville, AL): Dr. Sparks crafted the conceptual framework and initiated the implementation of systems-based planning and management for TBE’s government technical services and manufacturing strategic business units, as well as the commercial business units.
Director of the Systems Program Office, Systems Analysis and Technology Division, Teledyne Brown Engineering: Dr. Sparks developed and managed the operations plan of this mid-market strategic business unit of 600 engineers, physicists, analysts, market and business developers, support personnel, and nine national field offices.
Chief Development Officer, The University of Alabama in Huntsville: Dr. Sparks established substantive coalitions with national and local corporate CEOs for mutual organizational benefit. Dr. Sparks served as liaison officer to the state legislature and the Alabama Congressional delegation, as well as The University of Alabama System Board of Trustees.
Associate Dean of the College and Assistant Dean of Students, Birmingham-Southern College (Birmingham, AL): Dr. Sparks worked with the Dean and other officers in developing the college’s five-year plan, including student-managed co-curricular lecture and entertainment activities with strong planning and accountability systems for maximum student learning.
Dean of Men, Mercer University (Macon, GA): Dr. Sparks championed and nurtured the institution’s hallmark of progressive student development through political and social involvement.
Current & Past Professional and Civic Leadership
- Chairperson, Executive Board of Directors, Alabama Robotics Technology Park
- Board of Advisors, Huntsville Rehabilitation Foundation, Inc.
- President, Cummings Research Park Advisory Board
- Chair or Vice-Chair, Huntsville/Madison County Chamber of Commerce National Government Committee, State Government Committee, and Education Committee
- Founding Committee Member and Program Chairman, Huntsville Technical and Business Exhibition Symposium (TABES)
- Vice-President, Advisory Committee, National Children’s Advocacy Center, Huntsville, Alabama
EDUCATIONAL AND ACADEMIC SUMMARY
Dr. Sparks received his B.A. from Wake Forest College, his Masters from Vanderbilt University, and his Ph.D. from The University of Alabama. Dr. Sparks has held an Adjunct Associate Professor Chair in the Department of Human and Organizational Development at Vanderbilt University; Adjunct Chairs at The University of Alabama in Huntsville and at Mercer University; and Special Lectureships at the Defense Systems Management School, at the U.S. Army Logistics Management College, and at the U. S. Army Engineering Management College.